Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Newer 288 drivers any good?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Newer 288 drivers any good?

    I have a chance to buy a set of ceramic magnet 288 drivers for 100 bucks. They are bare drivers with loading caps, no rear covers or rubber magnet covers. Seller says that the diaphragms are original, not sure if 8 or 16 ohm. Are these any good for HiFi use?
    Thanks

    He Emailed back and said 8 ohm, original diaphragms. Specs look good, going to try and grab them.

    BillWojo
    Last edited by BillWojo; April 29th, 2017 at 07:29 PM. Reason: More info

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Newer 288 drivers any good?

    I would grab them. Even if you don't like them you could make some money if you decide to pass them on

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Newer 288 drivers any good?

    I'll get them this week. I talked to the seller, they had an easy life as general purpose pa drivers in an amusement park. Not sure if they are 8L or 8K models. Any way to tell the difference? They should be better than the 291-8K drivers I have.

    BillWojo

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Newer 288 drivers any good?


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Newer 288 drivers any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    They should be better than the 291-8K drivers I have.

    BillWojo
    I can do a side by side tomorrow.
    Sonic Barbarian

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Newer 288 drivers any good?

    That would be cool. I'm wondering if there is a difference between the drivers other than the voice coils.

    BillWojo

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Newer 288 drivers any good?

    I listen to Altec 288-8K's and like them a lot .

    They have a decidedly lower voice than the 802 driver .

    You may find that adding a tweeter restores some lost sparkle ( though this is truly a version of YMMV ).

    These diaphragms seem to fatigue faster than their compatriots, ultimately robbing HF and the lowest octave of response.
    - ( I think this is mostly due to usage in industrial settings ).

    I would highly recommend a pair of new GPA diaphragms right off the bat ( before judging their use in a HiFi setting ).


  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Newer 288 drivers any good?


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Newer 288 drivers any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    That would be cool. I'm wondering if there is a difference between the drivers other than the voice coils.

    BillWojo
    one thing different with a 291 and a 288 is a 291 comes with a symbiotic diaphragm. and won't play as high. I was going to swap it out with one of my 288 diaphragms. to see if I can hear a difference between the housings.
    Sonic Barbarian

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.